Thursday 27 February 2014

SHE AND I

There she stood
Her gaze scrutinizing my face
Not but inches from
Where I was.
Her features dimmed
Due to improper lighting,
Yet, with each freckle prominent,
Her hair in a disarray,
Each strand visible to the naked eye,
Her dark eyes steady,
Eyebrows furrowed in deep thought,
She stood there uncertainly.
With a comb, she set her hair,
Turned the tap,
Splashed water on her face,
Dried herself,
Then a liner lighted her eyes
And after a dab or two
Of creams, powders and colours,
She looked up at me
For confirmation.
We both nodded.
With that she straightened her clothes,
Straightened her back,
Held up her chin
And smiled.
Only I could read her eyes:
“Who cares about you?”
They seemed to say,
“All they want is me.”
Hence,
I turned my back to the mirror

And walked away.


By- Manny D

1 comment:

  1. The mirror image is beautiful, the message conveyed is brilliant and now i have 2 poems i love from your side...

    ReplyDelete